Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why Do I Run? (1 - How I started)

It started when I "need to" send my father to Sport Arena to learn Qi Gong.  May 1, 2010 was my 1st trip there.  Initially, I wanted to learn Qi Gong together.  But after learning for 15 minutes, I felt that it is better for me to engage in other activities.

So, I just walked around the place while waiting for my father.  I saw quite a lot of people jogging and walking around the place.  Among those were two old men who were jogging many rounds around the place that really inspired me.  I then ran for 20~30 seconds and I was like out of breath.  So, I decided to just walk fast while waiting for my father to finish the lesson (~1.5 hours).

This has been my weekly routine since then, ie. walking fast for ~1.5hours every week and was my "regular exercise".  I had been trying to engage in "regular exercise" several yeas ago but due to various reasons, it all ended up for only a few months.  With the "commitment" to fetch my father for the lesson every week, I started to engage with another "regular exercise" again.

Because of the "commitment", I was able to continue that regular exercise for ~7 months.  At the end of the year, I met up with my uncle who was in his 60's and he exercised 2~3 hours every week to stay healthy.  I know by then that I need to continue this.  Another 2 months passed and I bumped into my high school classmate whom I never met for more than 20 years during my walk on Saturday.  He was jogging at the place and urge me to jog together.  He said that he was walking initially but eventually turned into running as he felt walking was too slow and boring.  He told me to start running slowly with a short distance first.

OK then, I decided to give running a try.  I tried to run 0.5km initially with a very slow pace.  I set a target to myself to increase 0.5km every 2 weeks.  I did achieve it.  I was so happy when I can continuously running for 2 km.  So, I rewarded myself with a pair of shoes from Asics.

Yes, I started to run now!

No comments:

Post a Comment