Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

2015 APBIM HM Training Journal (17 wk to go)

After getting the habit to write this journal weekly, I just realized that the year end APBIM is around the corner, mere 17 weeks to go.  When I started my training plan, I was thinking to myself that I had prepared a few weeks ahead of time, ie. 20 weeks instead of typically 16 weeks.  However, after next week, it would be just 16 weeks to go.

For this week, I again stressed myself to run 3 days continuously.  But the pace is slower and slower.  I don't really worry about this because my main point is to be able run.  The reason for running slower and slower is because I experienced acute pain on my tight muscle after 2 days of easy run on Tuesday and Wednesday.  However, since I felt that it was not that serious, I continued to run on Thursday and rest for Friday and Saturday before the 5.5km fun run on Sunday.

The pain became more serious, I even felt pain while sitting on a chair in Saturday morning.  Anyway, I took multi-vitamin in the morning to see if it helped.  Luckily, in the afternoon of Saturday, the pain disappeared.  I was just hoping that I could join the run the next day.  With this minor incident, I was just targeting to finish the 5.5km with 6 mins pace.  I told myself that I need to be able to control myself because I recently will stress myself too much during the race.

Since this is just a 5.5km fun run with no prize, I didn't notice any serious runners around.  So, I was in quite in front before the run started.  Unfortunately, my GPS watch wasn't able to detect a strong GPS signal and thus I have to run by feel.

I was running slow (I guess), paying attention on my leg to see if I felt any sign of muscle pain.
Luckily, after around 1~2km of slow run, it turned out to be OK and thus I just increased my pace.  It was the uphill stretch when I increased the pace and managed to overtook a few runners.  When I was running back after the U-turn, at the downhill stretch, I just increased my speed, while paying attention on my leg.  It turned out that I didn't feel any discomfort downhill with that speed.  However, after a few minutes, I experienced pain at side of my abdomen, like previous race.  So, I decided to slow down a bit until the pain went away.

Around 1km to go, as I didn't feel the pain anymore, I slowly increased my pace.  Lastly, I finished the run with 28m42s.  This translates to 5:14"/km of pace, which is one of the fastest for around 5km route.  I am very happy with this results even with an uphill stretch.

Fuel: To try out different method of fueling before the race, I decided to try taking Yogurt before the fun run.  So, 1 hour before the run, while driving to the destination, I took ~100gm of Yogurt (127kcal according to the label).  At the same time, I drank 500ml of water mixed with isotonic drink.  Luckily, my stomach was taking this OK.  I just lined up to pass urine around 15 mins before the run started.

Overall for the week, I logged slightly more than 20km, which is what I targeted in my plan.  Furthermore, I managed to stress myself with 3 days run continuously.  I will do that again the following week to get myself comfortable with 3 days run with total mileage of around 15km.


No comments:

Post a Comment