Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hitting 20km per week

Coming to the end of the 1st month in 2014, I am following well with my training plan.  By this time, I should be logging 20km per week and I did.  20km/week is a special number to me.  I guess it was the target that I had since I started running seriously.

Since I started to run ~2+ years ago, out of 80 weeks that I recorded my mileage, only 16 weeks were with weekly mileage of more than 20km excluding the weeks with race.  Nothing magic, but this is a good start for the year.

As I read somewhere that optimum running mileage per week is between 10miles to 20 miles, my long term target is to run 30km/week while keeping 20km/week as minimum.  While achieving 30km/week, I am targeting to run 17km in the long run.  The 17km is chosen because I think it takes me 2 hours to run 17km.  Again, I read somewhere that running more than 2 hours continuously has no significant benefits in improving endurance.  Thus, 17km is my target now.

From my planning of 3 runs a week, achieving 17km will also bring me to 30km per week and then 80km per month.  Thus, all the goals aligned!  Amazing.

As I can achieve those target (probably end of June this year), I will consider myself to have the base of running and will work on improving my speed.  Once I can improve my speed, I will slowly increase my mileage to keep to 30mins run during weekday and 2 hours of long run during weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment