Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2015

My first two Interval Trainings

I had been reading about interval training on and off but have not really tried it out seriously.  Initially, I did try to run fast and slow intermittently and thought that was interval training.  However, after reading more regarding interval training in more details, I realized that my fast interval wasn't fast enough.  So, I decided to try real interval training more seriously.

By reading a few articles on interval training, I figured out that my fast interval pace should be around 5 min/km.  I plan to use this as my starting target.  With the help of my FR220, I set up for 5x interval run with 400m.

In the first trial, I thought I could manage the 5 min pace well and thus I just set the rest time of 1 min.  Unfortunately, this wasn't the case in my first trial.  Although I could complete 5x of interval, but the last 2x was slower than my plan.

Here's my splits:


Looking at the results, I concluded that my fast interval was too fast, and probably my slow interval was too short.

So, I adjusted the setting so that the slow interval is also following the distance of 400m and go for second trial after one week.

Unfortunately, the result is even worse.

Here's my splits:


Same issue as before, my fast interval is too fast.  I should learn to control my speed better.

I couldn't continue after three times due to heel pain.  After going though some self-diagnostic, I think I had a Plantar Faciitis.  I had it after the Penang Bridge Run and it become worse after the interval training.

I will reduce my mileage quite a lot going forward to prevent the injury before worse and come back to this interval training after I am free from injury.

My problem now is to control my pace to prevent further unnecessary stress to my body and leg!


No comments:

Post a Comment