Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Knee Injury

I have stopped running for 1 week due to pain at the back of my left knee even when I walked.  I couldn't even walk at my normal pace.  The back of my knee would be more hurting when I walked faster.  I have been searching the internet trying to figure out what the problem was.  From what I read, it could be runner's knee, torn muscle, torn tendor, etc.  In short, there's no solid conclusion.  I visited to general doctor suggested a possible torn muscle or damage nerve.

While talking a normal walk on Saturday morning, I suddenly heard a "click" sound coming from my knee.  After that, I felt that I can walk faster without major discomfort.  After a few more steps a few "clicking" sound came out again and I immediately felt the sense of relief from my knee and no discomfort at all even when I walk faster.  I was then suspected that I had a minor "twist" on my knee that somehow compressing the nerve.  I was very relief and decided to go for a slow run on the next day, Sunday.

I started up with slow walk on Sunday.  After ~15 minutes of walk by slowly increasing the pace, I didn't feel anything.  I started to run slowly.  Unfortunately, the discomfort at the back of my knee started again.  I was very upset.  I really wonder if I can ever run again.  My own analysis suggested that I somehow "compressed" my nerve due to nerve "dislocation".  I think to myself that since my nerve can be "dislocated", it can be "located" back by itself.  I then practicing a few "soft" kick that hopefully can help aligning the nerve back to the location.  Luckily, it doesn't get worse after a few kicks.  But, it doesn't seems to get better as well.  Meaning that after running for ~5 minutes, the pain at the back of the knee started again.

Well, I am now guessing that my nerve get damage and I need to rest for another week or so for recovering.

I don't really know how it happened.  I just remember that I had similar pain in the afternoon after my 1st half marathon race 2 months back.  That pain lasted me for 2~3 days.  Two weeks ago, when I had my normal long run training, I had the similar pain again.  After experience the pain, I continued to run for ~4km before I stopped.

Despite the pain, I had my slow run again the next day.  It was hurting at the beginning of the run but it became better after I ran for 1km.  There's a minor discomfort when walking after that but I didn't pay much attention.  The pain was severe when walking up or down the stairs.  Two days after that, there's not more pain and I even ran one of my best 5k with the average pace of 5:22/km.  Unfortunately, the run 4 days after that can only last for ~4km and that was my last run before I stop.

I am now speculating that either my running posture or sore of muscle (after extensive run) "compress" the nerve.  Thus, I really have to pay attention to how I increase my mileage when training.

My wish now is to be able to take part in running again and hopefully, I can run the Penang Run 2013 in 2 week time...

No comments:

Post a Comment