Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Garmin Watch vs Android HandyRunner Entry

I had a little experiment to see how accurate the HandyRunner capturing the running information on my Samsung Android Phone.

From the distant point of view, HandyRunner is capturing relatively accurate (see below).



Although the duration captured by HandyRunner is longer, it is because I pressed on the Start button earlier on HandyRunner before the run and  I Stop it slightly later.  Since I do not have a proper arm pouch for my phone I have to start the program first and then put the phone in my arm pouch before the run.  Thus, I would say that duration and pace captured by HandyRunner is pretty accurate.

As for the map captured (see below), both devices are giving me comparable data but the elevation information from HandyRunner is not that nice.

Lastly for the pace (see below), since there's no heart beat monitoring for HandyRunner, there will not be any data captured by HandyRunner.  As observed from the starting and ending pace captured by HandyRunner, that is due to fact that I insert my phone to the pouch before the run.  So, HandyRunner is "accurately" capturing that "slow" start and stop also.

Except for the elevation, I think HandyRunner can be used as replacement just in case I do not have the Garmin watch handy.  Moreover, playing music and having HandyRunner running for the whole run (~1 hour) only consume 4% of my phone battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment